A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. The only cookies we use are:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for our website. They include cookies that enable members to log into secure areas of our website, to use a shopping cart for purchasing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Function cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name, and remember your preferences.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited, and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your requirements. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
Both first and third-party cookies are used within our website at mellerbraggins.com
- First-party cookies are set by the website that you are visiting and can only be read by that website.
- Third-party cookies are set by an organisation other than the owner of the website. This can be for the purpose of website measurement, being able to watch a video on our site or for the purpose of advertising.
Cookies can last for different lengths of time, depending on what they are used for, for example:
- Session cookies are temporary cookies and are stored until you leave the website or when you close your web browser. They are then removed.
- Persistent cookies last for a fixed period of time, defined within the cookie, and allow the website to recognise the device again when the user returns to that website on that device. We as a business will set these cookies for 30 to 90 days.
As a visitor to our website, you are able to block cookies by activating the settings within your own browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website and your user experience will be affected.